Tarja T. Koistila – OESCA Breeder Referral
Though OES initially may appear to be ideal pets there are considerations. Here is a checklist to help you think through your decision.
- What age dog fits your current lifestyle – puppy or an older, already housebroken and possibly trained, dog?
- Do you have a fenced yard? OES need exercise daily.
- What are the schedules of your family? What about arrangements when you travel?
- Remember the large size of the OES, and the long coat (which needs to be groomed)!
- Are there other pets in your household, and how will they react?
- What about children – behaviors, schedules, allergies – in relation to the dog?
- Have you trained a dog before? Do you have time for training a new dog?
- Are you familiar with OES health care?
- Have you investigated all other costs associated with responsible dog ownership ( not just or potential OES owners)?
- Remember, you are hopefully picking a pet with whom you’ll have a long relationship!